Face and Jaw Surgery

Implant titanium in jawbone

11/21/2006

Question:

Dear Responser: My lower jaw has some deflexion to the upper jaw and some frontward shape. I don`t rememner any accident or crash that causes this problem. i can hear a sound at the end of my jawbone when i`m opening my mouth. The doctor`s said that they will operate my jaw to remove the problem and after that they will implant the titanium pin`s in my jaw to hold the bones. (My mouth will be close for nearly 2 weeks) I would like to ask, is there any probability that the deflexion come back by growthing the jawbone(My age is 21 year`s and 3 month`s old). And whats the harms for this operation and is there any other work that i can do.

Thanks a lot for your attention/

Your`s truely.

Answer:

I would recommend an evaluation by an orthodontist prior to surgery.  Sometimes a component of growth discrepancy can be the cause of these problems and a combined orthodontic/surgical treatment is the best option to eliminate this problem. 

Since I have not had the opportunity to examine you, it is nearly impossible for me to tell you if this is the case, but I think it is an option worth researching.

Go to the Face and Jaw Surgery health topic, where you can:

Guillermo  E Chacon, DDS Guillermo E Chacon, DDS
Associate Professor of Dentistry