Osteoporosis

combining Fosamax with Evista or Miacalcin

08/10/2006

Question:

I`m 58 years old, with borderline osteoporosis (T scores of -2.4, hip, and -2.3, spine). I`ve been taking Fosamax for a few years, but since my back scores have been getting worse in the last two bone scans, my doctor wants to add Evista to my treatment. With a very sedentary job, I`m concerned about the increased risk of blood clots (2 1/2 times the risk on Evista), and so Miacalcin spray was suggested as another option. What are the pros/cons of each option?

Thanks for your response!

Answer:

Combination therapy is not commonly used.  There is no evidence that combination reduces the rate of fractures.  If your bone density has gotten significantly worse, a thorough search for an secondary cause of your osteoporosis should be undertaken.  That may necessitate a consultation with an osteoporosis specialist.  Also, be sure you are taking the drug correctly and that you are getting adequate calcium and vitamin D.

Go to the Osteoporosis health topic, where you can:

Margery   Gass, MD Margery Gass, MD
Formely, Professor, Clinical Obstetrics & Gynecology