Smoking and Tobacco

Can this be from smoking?

08/05/2006

Question:

Hello, and thank you for taking your time to read my questions. For the past 6 days i have been feeling a slight heaviness on the right side of my head, my right legg is soar and right foot gets slightlty (bearly numb, hard to tell) Off and on my arms feel a little week and my hands feel to be numb or seem to have lost some coordination. I went to the doctor and he didnt think much of it, he mention smoking would be a wise thing to drop and that this could also be somesort of a virus that just needs to be waited out??? I`m 18 years of age and have been a full time smoker sence i was 16. Does this soundlike a possible cause from smoking?

Answer:

It is difficult to determine whether your symptoms are due to your smoking.  It was wise to see your physician for this.  Regardless, your doctor gave you good advice about quitting smoking.  It is always in your best interest to quit.  There are effective medications to help you quit.  These drugs can be obtained by prescription from your doctor.  You can also purchase nicotine gum or nicotine patches in the drug store.  The instructions for using these products will be contained in the package.  Good luck with quitting.

Go to the Smoking and Tobacco health topic, where you can:

Mary Ellen Wewers, PhD, MPH Mary Ellen Wewers, PhD, MPH
Professor of Health Behaviors & Health Promotion
College of Public Health