Dental and Oral Health Center

Porcelain veneers

08/03/2006

Question:

Hello. I am 16 years old and I hate my smile. My family was never able to afford braces for me and they wouldn`t do much to help because my teeth are not all the same size. I have gaps, crooked and chipped teeth, and they are stained. I would love to have a perfect smile.

I was wondering how old do you have to be to get veneers? How much is the cost to have this done to get a PERFECT smile? Is this something common that people have done? Please, I need to know to start saving up money for this procedure. I would really appreciate it if you can answer my questions. Thank You!

Answer:

Porcelain veneers require minimal tooth preparation, so your age is not a factor. However, a dentist would need to evaluate whether this is the most appropriate treatment for you. Fees vary by practice and whether the dentist is a specialist. Dental schools can provide fees at approximately 1/2 private practice fees when students provide the treatment. I recommend that you have a consult to determine the best treatment for you and get a fee estimate at that time. Individual veneers probably average around $800 to $1000 in a private practice.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health Center health topic, where you can:

Nancy L Clelland, DMD, MSD Nancy L Clelland, DMD, MSD
Professor of Restorative & Prosthetic Dentistry