Thyroid Diseases

Hair Loss and Thyroid Testing Results

As part of a work up for hair loss, my dermatologist ordered thyroid test. I am 52, in good health, no medications. These are the rsults: TSH - 2.03; free T4 - 1.2; T3 - 92; Thyroglobulin antibody - <20; Thyroid Peroxidase antibody - 411.

What do you make of the significantly elevated peroxidase antibody when everything else is normal? Thank you

The normal thyroid tests tell us that your hair loss is not due to thyroid disease. About 10% of normal adults have high amounts of antithyroid peroxidase antibodies in their blood. Their presence in your blood means that you are a little more likely to develop thyroid disease some day (most likely an underactive thyroid, though possibly an overactive thyroid instead) than a person with negative antibodies.

However, I can't say HOW likely you are to develop thyroid disease, or how LONG it might be before such a disease might develop. The best thing would be for your doctor to check thyroid blood tests any time there is a significant change in how you are feeling.

Go to the Thyroid Diseases health topic, where you can:

Thomas A Murphy, MD, FACP, FACE Thomas A Murphy, MD, FACP, FACE