Obesity and Weight Management

Weight gaining

08/21/2006

Question:

I had my gallbladder remover 7 years ago. I gain weight and I can`t lose it. I dieted and exercised I`m always moving around, I just don`t sit in one spot. I`m a small business owner. What can I do..My husband said that this didn`t start until after the surgery. i never had a weight problem, I`v always been on the small sizes all my life, up until the surgery. Please help me...

Answer:

To better answer your question, I would need some additional information. For example, what is your current height and weight? Are you physically active on a regular basis?  Are you taking any medications that may be causing you to gain weight?

Usually after gallbladder removal, patients cannot digest high fat, large meals, and certain types of foods, and this leads to weight loss.  Bile still flows into the intestine, but fat digestion may not be as efficient.

Weight gain occurs when you are taking in more calories than you are burning off in daily activity. To lose weight, you need to burn off more calories than you are taking in.  Thus, energy in (food) cannot exceed energy out (exercise).  Think about how much activity you are doing as well as how much you are eating.  Do you take more calories in through food than you are burning off?  If so, this can lead to a steady weight gain.

Try to think about your weight in terms of making a lifestyle change rather than as going on a "diet."  Consume a variety of foods from each of the food groups, limiting your intake of high fat foods. Try to consume foods (in moderation) that contain "good" fats (monounsaturated and polyunsaturated) such as peanut butter, olive oil, peanuts, etc. I would recommend starting by going to the ChooseMyPlate.gov website.

I would also recommend speaking with your doctor about your weight gain. He or she may evaluate any medicines you are on that may have weight gain as a side effect and may be able to pinpoint other conditions that may be causing your weight gain. Also, it may be helpful to speak with a registered dietitian, who can take a look at your food intake and the food choices you are making. Visit the website of the American Dietetic Association to search for a dietitian in your area- www.eatright.org

Go to the Obesity and Weight Management health topic, where you can:

Jaime  Ackerman Foster, MPH, RD, LD Jaime Ackerman Foster, MPH, RD, LD
Formerly,
Extension Nutrition Associate
College of Education and Human Ecology