Athletic Training

Core mucles

10/30/2006

Question:

What is the best way to build your core muscles?

Answer:

I assume by core muscles, you mean the muscles of your trunk. In my opinion, nothing beats the basics. That is good old fashioned crunches, sit-ups, etc… and their variations.

You just want to make sure that you are hitting all the muscle groups, the rectus abdominus, the obliques, and the lower back. A lot of people focus on the abs, but forget about their back. The back is very important and time should be spent on strengthening it.

Good exercises for the back are superman’s (lying on your stomach and raising our arms and legs in the air). These can be varied by doing just your arms, just your legs, 1 arm and 1 leg, or opposite arm and leg. They should be progressed as you improve, start with 1 arm and progress to raising all 4.

Before you begin any program, I would recommend buying a guide to these exercises or consulting with a physician. Proper form is very important in preventing injury and making good gains.

Go to the Athletic Training health topic, where you can:

Jeffery  A Bright, MS, ATC/L Jeffery A Bright, MS, ATC/L
Assistant Athletic Trainer, Department of Athletics
Instructor