Dental and Oral Health (Seniors)

Actonel or Fosomax and dental surgery

08/29/2006

Question:

I have been told that I may need to have a tooth pulled, but that it is a "risky business" because I am on Actonel, and there is a possiblity of complications with the bone because of the medicine. What is the relationship between these meds and oral surgery - or what is the alternative to the surgery (my ear aches until I cry daily-the tooth NEEDS to come out!)

My dentist is talking about a root canal and grinding the tooth, and that is a scary proposition to me! especially since I cannot afford to have a partial put in for one tooth!

Answer:

For patients on Actonel who need dental extraction, the American Dental Association recommends a thorough review by the oral surgeon of dose, route of administering the drug, and generally a thorough evaluation prior to extraction.  The risk, of course, is bone necrosis.  Please see an oral surgeon.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Seniors) health topic, where you can:

Abdel Rahim   Mohammad, DDS, MS, MPH, FAAOM, FACD Abdel Rahim Mohammad, DDS, MS, MPH, FAAOM, FACD
Clinical Professor of Geriatrics