Side of face swollen after root canal

08/22/2006

Question:

i went to dentist on a wed for pain said i needed a root canal on one of my back molors he said he would open it up to relieve the pain it worked went back on the next day for start of root canal at one point on 3rd xray said he didn`t get it all and had to go back in he did i left the office went home face was swollen a little a at the side of my nose wentto work next day called the dentist he said to double up on my doses of penicillin for the next 4 times now it is sat am and my whole side of my face is more swollen can`t even smile not that i have any thing to smile at.i have 2 more doeses of double antiboitics. do u think he got all the root or could he have gone to far with one of those files did almost come out of the chair at one point felt like he went up in my cheek.

Answer:

Unfortunately, from the information I could gather from your email, I really can't tell you why you are having this swelling. Post-treatment swelling can occur in 5-10% of patients who had an infected or dead nerve. It usually does not occur when the nerve of the tooth was alive.

Again, I can't say what treatment was done or if the dentist drilled too deep, etc. from your email. If things don't resolve soon, you should have the dentist look at the problem again and possibly consider referring you to a root canal specialist.

John M Nusstein, DDS John M Nusstein, DDS
Associate Professor of Endodontics