Complementary Medicine

Omega-3/Omega-6 Dosages

08/23/2006

Question:

Can you take too much of the Omega-3/Omega-6? What if taken in a combined capsules? The bottle states 1 three times a day. I was taking 2 twice a day.

Answer:

While you can take too much of anything, the item you mention is relatively safe depending on your medical problems. I would need to know those to speak to safety.

Question Not asked but needs to be answered is why would anyone ever take an omega-3/ omega-6 product?

Since omega-6 opposes omega-3 in the immune functions, etc. You need to subtract the omega-6 mgs from the omega-3 mgs, since we already have 10-15 times too much omega-6 in our diet. One would never ever buy more omega-3 to take.

Also, since these are water soluble, the impact on the immune system (bone marrow) is only about 20-25% with each dose so you would be better taking omega-3 before each meal and at betime than taking it twice a day.

You must also be careful in taking omega-3 to make sure it is all from fish oil since the plant versions like Flax omega-3 can not be converted adequately by the human liver for lack of the enzyme elongase, and therefore plant omega-3 can often make the person feel worse.

Go to the Complementary Medicine health topic, where you can:

Glen F Aukerman, MD, DABFP Glen F Aukerman, MD, DABFP
Professor of Family Medicine