Tooth breaks after root canal

08/25/2006

Question:

I had a root canal done well i went for the first two treatments and it hurt so much on the second visit i didn`t go for the third and my tooth started breaking off little by little and now i only have two small pieces left my question on the second treatment of the root canal are you suppose to get some anestetic or is the dentist supposed to work on it without anestetic? now i experience throbing pain on and off above the tooth thats left i know i have to get it removed.

Answer:

The use of proper local anesthesia for root canal treatment is very important in my opinion. When a patient is comfortable, they are relaxed and are able to sit still during a procedure. That makes my job a little easier. I do not know why your dentist did not use any local anesthetic at your second appointment. It could be he/she thought that all of the nerve tissue had been removed at the first appointment and that there was no tissue left in the tooth to cause pain. Obviously that was not the case, even though it would seem to make sense.

The tooth may have broken down somewhat since your last appointment, but before you have the tooth taken out be sure and have a dentist evaluate it to see if you can save the tooth with a completed root canal and crown.

John M Nusstein, DDS John M Nusstein, DDS
Associate Professor of Endodontics