Stroke

Spinal fluid pockets in the brain

08/24/2006

Question:

I am a 39 year old Caucasian female. 7 years ago I had a revision of a mastoidectomy on my left ear originally done in 1972. It is believed that I had an ear infection for about 10 years and didn’t know it. There was significant bone loss that showed on an MRI of the head my ENT ordered. While he was operating he came across a pus pocket under the dura (the lining of my brain). He tested the fluid inside and it was spinal fluid. Being unable to complete the original surgery to replace bone and clean out the infection of my ear he called in a neurosurgeon. The day I was released I had a grand maul seizure and was put right back into the hospital so the neurosurgeon could do a craniotomy and remove this pocket. I recently had another grand maul seizure, July 8th, and my neurologist ran several tests including: CAT scan, MRI, MRA, EEG, and blood work. He told me that my EEG results concerned him because it started off slow? I told him that I seem to be having some short term memory problems along with migraines and his concern turned to worry. He is repeating the EEG tomorrow and I wanted to know if this could mean I have another pus pocket filled with spinal fluid or if this is something different. Whether it’s 50/50 or more like 90% pus pocket 10% something else. Please answer my question if you can, I am scared to ask anyone else.

Answer:

Technically, this question does not fall within the scope of my topic area but I wanted to send an answer to try and help you.  To have these symptoms properly diagnosed, you will need to speak with the doctors who are taking care of you.  Based on the information provided, I cannot give you a reasonable answer about the risk of having a recurrent infection.  EEG slowing is not a specific finding that can predict an infection.

If you have general questions about your ENT condition, or about seizures, you could address these to either section within Netwellness.

Go to the Stroke health topic, where you can:

Brett   Kissela, MD Brett Kissela, MD
Director, Neurology Residency Program