Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Face and Jaw Surgery

Jaw misalignment: options



After suffering progressive facial pain for the past 12 years I was recently diagnosed with a significant misalignment in my jaw. My dentist told me that I should see pain relief after wearing an orthodic (which I will be fitted for next month), for several weeks.

After looking online at this issue I see several sites that say this problem cannot be corrected with an orthodic in an adult b/c the tissues, muscles and bones are set and have stopped growing. I would really appreciate your opinion on this issue and whether you think I should consult a maxillofacial specialist regarding surgery (keeping in mind the maxim that surgeons usually recommend surgery). Thanks very much for your help.


I recommend that you visit an orthodontist (braces specialist) for an evaluation of your jaw growth discrepancy.  This professional will coordinate with a surgeon if an operation is required to correct the problem.

For more information:

Go to the Face and Jaw Surgery health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Guillermo  E Chacon, DDS Guillermo E Chacon, DDS
Associate Professor of Dentistry
College of Dentistry
The Ohio State University