Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Injury Prevention and Safety

Candles

08/27/2006

Question:

I heard that party lite candles are not poisonous. I was told that they are approved by the FDA as a food grade parraffin wax. Is this true?

Answer:

I checked the Party Lite web site. They only claim to use high quality ingredients. There is no mention of FDA approval of their paraffin wax as a food grade product. However, I can't think of any reason why someone would want to eat the candles. They do use decorative paints and imbedded small objects in their candles. Therefore, the candles would be unsafe from the point of view of small parts that could choke a young child and possibly the paints could be unhealthful as well if consumed.  

For more information:

Go to the Injury Prevention and Safety health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Mary M Gottesman, PhD, RN, CPNP, FAAN Mary M Gottesman, PhD, RN, CPNP, FAAN
Professor of Clinical Nursing
College of Nursing
The Ohio State University