Stroke

Am I at high risk for stroke?

09/06/2006

Question:

Hi I have a question and I am really hoping to get a response from you. I am 29 years old and in my 3rd pregnancy. I have a subchorionic hemmorhage and I had toxima or pregnancy induced hypertension with my first. Both my grandparents on my mother`s side essentialy died from strokes. Plus heart disease and high blood pressure run in my famiily am I at a high risk for stroke?

Answer:

I cannot predict your risk for stroke from the information provided.  To give you substantive information, one needs a full medical history and physical examination.

I can provide the following information.  High blood pressure is the single biggest risk factor for stroke.  A family history of Heart disease and stroke both increase your risk of stroke.

If you would like to quantify your risk for stroke, you can go to the following website: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/about/framingham/

There is a link on this site to use a stroke prediction program which can give you personalized information about your own stroke risk.

I hope this helps.

Go to the Stroke health topic, where you can:

Brett   Kissela, MD Brett Kissela, MD
Director, Neurology Residency Program