Cancer Genetics

Interpreting Test Results

09/28/2006

Question:

I was recently told I had an ANA(antinuclear antibodies) of 1:80. Now I am told I have an IGG(Immunoglobulin)count of 488 which has dropped from 511 in the past year. I have a sister with Lupus, my Mom died of Multiple Myloma, another sister died of Polymyositis and another sister had MS amongst other immune deficiency disorders. Apparently I have inherited the disorder. However one of the doctors I saw said that the ANA is irrelevant. Although he referred me to a hematologist/oncologist who I haven`t seen yet. Wouldn`t the two figures be related in some way? Thank you so much!

Answer:

Your question is best answered by seeing the hematologist.  He or she will be able to discuss with you in greater detail what values are important and/or relevant to your health.  It is rarely helpful to try to second guess about medical information.  You need accurate information that will be useful in managing your healthcare.  I encourage to make the appointment.

Go to the Cancer Genetics health topic, where you can:

Duane D Culler, PhD, MS Duane D Culler, PhD, MS
Clinical Instructor of Genetics