Low grade temp a symptom of root canal?

09/11/2006

Question:

I`ve had 2 root canals and my dentist said I probably need a third d/t sensitivity to hot and cold, discoloration and x-ray showing little or no root. She believes it was probably injured during sports, like previous teeth.

Anyways, pain is intermittant so I`ve put off visit to endodontist....but in the meantime i`ve had a low grade temp for over 6 weeks and I just thought maybe this is related to body fighting infection in tooth. Again, my tooth symptoms are minor at this point so just wondering if you`ve seen this symtpom in past?

Answer:

The best way to rule out that the infection is not related to the last tooth needing root canal treatment is to have the endodontist either evaluate or treat that tooth.  Dental infections generally manifest themselves with swelling and severe local pain.  Low grade fevers for over 6 weeks are not generally seen.  There may be another underlying medical issue going on, and you may wish to see your physician.

John M Nusstein, DDS John M Nusstein, DDS
Associate Professor of Endodontics