Exercise and Fitness

Suggestions for starting strength training

I`m a 26 year old female who needs to lose about 70 pounds to reach a healthy weight. I have lost 15 pounds by eating right and doing a lot of walking on the treadmill in my home. I am interested in starting some sort of strength training routine to become more toned and burn more fat. I`ve never done anything like this before and don`t know where to begin. I can`t afford a gym or overly expensive equipment. What do you suggest?

Try looking around for household items that you can use as hand held weights (i.e. cans of soup, cans of fruit, etc.).  You can use these for a number of different exercises such as biceps curls, shoulder raises, overhead triceps extension, triceps kick-backs, etc.  Just look up dumbbell exercises on the internet and you can use the soup or whatever you have in the place of dumbbells.  You can also begin to do a number of body weight exercises like standing squats, lunges, pushups, crunches, etc. 

Lastly, ACSM guidelines suggest that you perform 8-12 repetitions of each exercise for 2-3 days per week or every other day.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Go to the Exercise and Fitness health topic, where you can:

Jayme   Johnson, MS Jayme Johnson, MS
Program Manager
Fitness Center at CARE\Crawley