Vascular Surgery

Inferior vena cava

09/25/2006

Question:

my husband had a two lumber spinal fusion with titanium cages during surgery one of the cages went in incorrectly due too this problem my husband underwent a further operation to remove the cage but during surgery they found that it was stuck to the inferior vena cava and IS COMPRESSING THE VEIN THEY DECIDED IT WAS TOO DANGEROUS TO PROCEDE WHAT WILL HIS FUTURE OUT COME BE AND IS THERE ANY VASCULAR SURGEON WHO WOULD ATTEMPT A OPERATION

Answer:

The inferior vena cava should likely be imaged at some point (possibly with a CT scan) to identify any compression. If there is none, then likely your husband will not suffer any adverse consequences. If he develops new swelling in both legs, he should seek medical attention. There are options with various stents that could be placed in the inferior vena cava if this ever became an issue.

Go to the Vascular Surgery health topic, where you can:

Amy B Reed, MD Amy B Reed, MD