NetWellness is a global, community service providing quality, unbiased health information from our partner university faculty. NetWellness is commercial-free and does not accept advertising.
Sunday, February 14, 2016
Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants
Irritated Gum Around Crown
I am having trouble with my permanent crown. It feels like gum irritation around and under the crown. It is very aggravating. I have had my crown for 2 weeks now.
Will that irritating feeling go away?
Often times, when impression materials are used to obtain molds, temporary crowns removed and replaced, these procedures could have an irritating effect on the gums. Both of these precede the placement of a permanent crown.
Another consideration should be the type of material used for the crown fabrication. The material used would have different characteristics of adaptation with the tooth and possibly the gum margin (e.g.: gold, porcelain, porcelain-metal, porcelain gold, metal, etc.)
When a new crown is placed, it could cause a slight irritation of the gum margin around it. This should resolve within the first 4 weeks after placement, considering that everything is ideal.
- Cement overflow that has been used to seal the crown could extend under the gum margin.
- Crown overextension and/or overcontoured that would irritate/impinge the gum tissue.
- Gap that could be present between the tooth and the crown margin due to imprecise fit. This gap could accumulate a significant amount of bacteria that are not easily removed with conventional brushing and flossing, thus causing irritation of the gum tissue.
- Return to the dentist that made the crown for you, and assertively communicate your concerns and symptoms.
- This would enable your dentist to do any necessary adjustments that will alleviate the current situation and discomfort.
I hope the information presented is of any use to your current situation.
Let us know if we could be of any further help.
Jose I Arauz-Dutari, DMD
Formerly, Assistant Professor of Periodontics
School of Dental Medicine
Case Western Reserve University