Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants

Irritated Gum Around Crown

09/22/2006

Question:

I am having trouble with my permanent crown. It feels like gum irritation around and under the crown. It is very aggravating. I have had my crown for 2 weeks now.

Will that irritating feeling go away?

Answer:

Often times, when impression materials are used to obtain molds, temporary crowns removed and replaced, these procedures could have an irritating effect on the gums. Both of these precede the placement of a permanent crown.

Another consideration should be the type of material used for the crown fabrication. The material used would have different characteristics of adaptation with the tooth and possibly the gum margin (e.g.: gold, porcelain, porcelain-metal, porcelain gold, metal, etc.)

When a new crown is placed, it could cause a slight irritation of the gum margin around it. This should resolve within the first 4 weeks after placement, considering that everything is ideal.

Possible causes:

Recommendation:

I hope the information presented is of any use to your current situation.

Let us know if we could be of any further help.

Best wishes

Go to the Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants health topic, where you can:

Jose I Arauz-Dutari, DMD Jose I Arauz-Dutari, DMD
Formerly, Assistant Professor of Periodontics
School of Dental Medicine