Help

09/21/2006

Question:

I have had two root canals. The first was done on #12 three years ago and it never felt right. I finally had a api. on the tooth but still lost it. Immediately after pulling, #13 started having sinustivity problems and I had pain that seemed like it came from the tooth or the #12 area so I ended up with a root canal. I have the same problems with this root canal as the first root canal only they appeared much faster, within three weeks: some swelling along my check bone, itching in the cheek, and tingling on both sides of my upper lip, slight sensitivity to cold, the tooth fills full but does not hurt. Each root canal was done by different Endodonist.

I have had a catscan and my sinuses are fine. I have taken antibiodics. The endo says the tooth is fine and I shouldn`t have any problems. Any ideas? Could I be allergic to the filling? I am very frustrating and I do not know where to turn, also I hate to loose another tooth.

Answer:

The problem you are describing may be neurogenic in origin. That is, there could be a neurological cause to your symptoms not directly related to the tooth. The tooth may be a trigger for the symptoms, but not the actual source. This type of problem is not a sinus issue, especially since you have been evaluated for sinusitis.

Taking the tooth out may resolve the symptoms for a while, but they will most likely return and another tooth will seem to be the cause.  I would suggest an evaluation by a neurologist who specializes or has experience with facial pain.

John M Nusstein, DDS John M Nusstein, DDS
Associate Professor of Endodontics