Dental Hygiene

Question about the career

09/25/2006

Question:

I am currently studying for a career in dental hygiene, and i am concerned about whether this is something I should really be looking into. I plan on having a family one day, and I am worried that this may be the kind of career that I won`t be able to have both. I think my main concern is that I would be working all of the time, and not have enough time for them. Is this true? It would really help me a lot if you could get back to me as soon as possible, thank you!

Answer:

Actually, a career in dental hygiene is perfect for  working moms!  As a dental hygienist you can work as much or as little as you want.  Many dentists hire several part-time hygienists.  So, working just 1-2 days a week is not unusual.  Also, dentists work evening hours and Saturdays so those are options as well!  Starting salaries are $25-30/hour so it really is a perfect career if you are thinking about having a family.

Go to the Dental Hygiene health topic, where you can:

Michele P Carr, RDH,  MA Michele P Carr, RDH, MA
Associate Professor of Dental Hygiene
Associate Professor of HS Nursing Quality & Research