Thyroid Diseases

Thyroid Nodule Testing Results

10/06/2006

Question:

I feel like i have a lump in my throat, I had a CT done and it found "enlarged jugulodigastric lymph node underlying neoplastic or inflammatory disease; mild asymmetry of the supraglottic region may be related to some retained debris in the supraglottic space; 5mm low density lefy thyroid nodule."

I can`t get in to see the ENT for another month and I would like to know what some of this means. My doctor doesn`t explain it to me.

Answer:

The enlarged lymph node is very non-specific. Whether it needs to be biopsied or not would depend on its size and appearance. The ENT doctor would be the best one to decide about this.

I have no idea what the significance of "mild asymmetry of the supraglottic region" would be. Again, you need the ENT doctor to evaluate this.

The 5 mm nodule in the thyroid is too small to be biopsied and should be followed periodically either with periodic ultrasounds or by a doctor feeling the thyroid gland. These kinds of nodules in the thyroid are quite common and the vast majority of them are nothing to worry about.

Go to the Thyroid Diseases health topic, where you can:

Thomas A Murphy, MD, FACP, FACE Thomas A Murphy, MD, FACP, FACE