NetWellness is a global, community service providing quality, unbiased health information from our partner university faculty. NetWellness is commercial-free and does not accept advertising.
Wednesday, June 19, 2013
What is the proper and most effective way of taping your ankles prior to playing football.
One ankle tape job that is effective is the basket weave. The basket weave is applied over a protective barrier (pre-wrap), onto the ankle.
- Start with the ankle in a 90 degree position. The application of tape begins with an anchor strip, about where the calf meets the Achilles tendon.
- Next put on a stirrup. Start on the inside of the leg on the anchor strip, go under the foot, and up to the other side of the anchor.
- Repeat this. Apply one more anchor strip.
The next step is called the horseshoe.
- Apply two circular strips around the ankle from the point of the anchor down.
- Repeat the stirrup.
- Then repeat the horseshoes.
Additional support comes from the heel lock.
- Starting high on the instep, bring the tape along the ankle at a slight angle, hooking the heel, leading under the arch, then come up on the opposite side, and finish at the starting point.
- Repeat on the opposite side of the ankle.
- Finish with a band around the ankle.
You also have the option of purchasing ankle braces to provide you more support.
Chalisa Fonza, MA, ATC
Clinical Instructor at the School of Allied Medical Professionals
College of Medicine
The Ohio State University