Obesity and Weight Management

Is this normal?

10/16/2006

Question:

i am 13 years old. i am 5ft`3 and about 118 pounds, ( 8 and a wee bit stone) is this normal?

Answer:

The first thing I would need to know to accurately assess whether your current weight is within the normal range would be whether you are male or female.

Adolescent’s weight and height are used to calculate their Body Mass Index (or BMI). After a BMI is determined for children and teens, it is then plotted on the Center for Disease Control (CDC) BMI-for-age growth charts.  Different charts are available for boys and girls, to obtain a percentile ranking. Your percentile compares you to other children of your same sex and age.  Depending on the percentile, you are then categorized as either underweight, at a healthy weight, at risk for overweight, or overweight.

Based on the height, weight and age information you gave me, your BMI is 20.9. This is within the normal range on the BMI-for-age growth charts for both males and females, indicating you are at a healthy weight.  If you would like to read more, I encourage you to view the CDC webpage at:

http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/bmi/childrens_BMI/about_childrens_BMI.htm

Go to the Obesity and Weight Management health topic, where you can:

Jaime  Ackerman Foster, MPH, RD, LD Jaime Ackerman Foster, MPH, RD, LD
Extension Nutrition Associate
College of Education and Human Ecology