Urinary Tract Cancers

Gross hematuria - daily for 6 months

10/02/2006

Question:

I have had painless gross hematuria for the last 6 months. This occurs almost daily. I very occasionaly have a 3 day break with no blood. I have had my bladder checked and it was ok. I have also had a IVU xray and that was negative. I have recently had an ultra sound of my kidney. The radiologist said she couldn`t see anything there, either. Over the last months I have had episodes of very, very red urine, which is quite scary. I also have traces of protein in my urine and get a slight ache in my right side. There is no infection and no pain passing water. I don`t know if its relevant, but I do get up around twice each night to pass water. I`m really worried in case something has been missed and a reason doesn`t always get found for hematuria. I have been advised that with all the checks that and as long as the cancer checks are clear, it`s ok.

Answer:

Evaluations for hematuria are surprisingly accurate in finding serious causes for bleeding, but unless a specific cause is found the evaluation per se does not stop the bleeding. Urologists rely on tincture of time to stop bleeding that does have a specific cause. I suggest that you have a second opinion. If that opinion has a negative outcome you probably do not have to worry about a serious condition. Getting the  bleeding to stop is another matter but you can be assured that the bleeding is not the result of something serious.

Go to the Urinary Tract Cancers health topic, where you can:

R Bruce  Bracken, MD R Bruce Bracken, MD
Professor of Surgery