Obesity and Weight Management

Excessive weight gain

10/16/2006

Question:

I have recently quit an addiction of meth, so I assumed the weight gain was due to that. And I have always been on the chuncky side. Lately I have beed out of breathe when I do minimal activity. I sleep all the time, and have no energy at all. My pcp has given me blood work and I have an elevated thyroid. Could this be the cause of my weight gain? Can you suggest something that will help me loose the weight? The diet I am on is not helping and I just can`t get rid of it.

Answer:

Thank you for your question.  I am sure you are frustrated with the weight gain.  Having an elevated thyroid should actually work in your favor to help you lose weight, since it means you burn more calories than other individuals with normal or underactive thyroids for the same activity.  You mention your activity level but nothing about your current diet.  Has your diet changed?  Ask your doctor for a referral to a dietitian to help you evaluate your current pattern of eating and then to work with you on changes that will help with you weight loss.

While diet is an important component in weight loss, I would also ask your doctor about exercises/activity in which you may engage.  Daily walking for 20 to 30 minutes will burn calories and, for most people, provides added energy.  If your doctor has not restricted your activity, I encourage you to begin whatever you are able to do without overdoing it, and then continue this level of activity most days of the week.  In a week or two, increase the time or intensity of whatever you are doing.

You should begin to experience weight loss.  If you do not experience weight loss after a month of making these changes, I encourage you to consult your doctor. 

To Your Good Health,

Shirley A. Kindrick, PhD, RD, LD

Go to the Obesity and Weight Management health topic, where you can:

Shirley A Kindrick, PhD Shirley A Kindrick, PhD
Team Leader of Comprehensive Weight Management