Inherited Disorders and Birth Defects

Single unilateral palmar crease

10/09/2006

Question:

My son was born with a single unilateral palmar crease on his right hand and foot. He appears to be otherwise normal. I have heard that the single palmar crease may be a marker for Down`s Syndrome. Is it indicative of other problems and, if so, what should I look out for? He was seen by a paediatrician at birth and she did not appear to be too concerned. I was too anxious to ask her at the time if my son needs further investigation. My son is now 8 weeks old. He has had his newborn screening tests and no one has said anything about there being any problems. However, I still have a niggling worry that he may not be OK.

Answer:

A single palmer crease is seen in about 4% of the normal population.  Bilateral creases - on both hands - is seen in about 1%.  While this finding can be seen in children with Down syndrome, less than half of children with Down syndrome have single palmer creases.  

If your son has no other problems, I would not be at all concerned.  If you are still concerned, you might want to discuss the finding with your pediatrician at your son's next well baby visit.

Go to the Inherited Disorders and Birth Defects health topic, where you can:

Anne   Matthews, RN, PhD Anne Matthews, RN, PhD
Associate Professor of Genetics