Newborn and Infant Care

Infatrini milk

11/01/2006

Question:

Hi I wanted to know if you can tell me if it is safe to give infatrini milk to my baby who is not prem and is at 13lbs weight at 3months she likes the infatrini milk and stays happy with it but doesnt like the SMA milk she was on at birth to 2 months. Can I mix the feeds or give her a feed of each as she will take sma formula when she is really hungry.

Answer:

Infatrini is a special medical formula intended for use by babies under 16 pounds 9 ounces weight who have been diagnosed with failure to thrive (insufficient growth and weight gain) or who have diseases of the kidneys, lungs, or heart where they need a lot of calories to grow but their bodies cannot handle normal volumes of fluid formula.  This formula has 420 calories per 100 milliliters compared to standard formula at 66 calories per 100 milliliters.

The problem with giving a healthy newborn this formula is that you are likely to severely overfeed the baby calories, since Infatrini has over double the calories per ounce of regular formula such as SMA. Assuming your child was an average 7 pound baby at birth, she has already nearly doubled her birthweight at 3 months. This should not occur until 5-6 months of age.

All parents feel good about seeing their babies grow well. However, as in many things in life, moderation is best. There really is such a thing as too much of a good thing, and weight gain in early infancy is one of them. We know now from research that excessive weight gain in babies before 4 months of age is associated with a very high risk for childhood overweight, which can increase the child's risk for Type II diabetes, high blood pressure, and many other health problems later in childhood.

Hence, I would very strongly encourage you to stop the use of Infatrini since you are blessed with a healthy, normal  baby and to use only SMA standard formula. Your daughter also really should only eat when she is truly hungry, the time you say she is willing to accept SMA formula, rather than "snacking" frequently on the bottle. True hunger cues include vigorous sucking on her hands, hands held fisted under her chin, and fussing. It is also best to carefully observe for her behaviors indicating that she is full and stop the feeding when you see these cues. These behaviors include drifting off to drowsiness or sleep, relaxation of her arms along her body, as well as pushing, turning or pulling away from the bottle. By carefully reading her behaviors, you will help her learn to regulate her intake and avoid the dangers of overfeeding.

Go to the Newborn and Infant Care health topic, where you can:

Mary M Gottesman, PhD, RN, CPNP, FAAN Mary M Gottesman, PhD, RN, CPNP, FAAN
Professor of Clinical Nursing