Acne scars

10/18/2006

Question:

How can I get rid of acne scars that I have and what products should I look for in acne scar treatments? Or would it be better to just schedule a doctor`s appointment?

Answer:

There are two main types of marks left by acne, true scars and pigmentation (color) changes. There are no good treatments over the counter for true scars. Of course getting the acne controlled to prevent new scars is important. To get rid of the color (whether red, brown, or black) is a different story. Again, controlling the acne with proper medical treatment is necessary (products that have benzoyl peroxide are good over the counter acne medications). Dark brown marks can improve with OTC fading creams as long as the acne is well controlled.

It would be best to see a board certified dermatologist to see if you OTC acne treatment is sufficient for you, or if you need prescription treatment.

Pranav   Sheth, MD Pranav Sheth, MD