Hives and eczema

10/18/2006

Question:

If I do any thing that makes me sweat alot I developes hives. Does this mean that I could be allergic to my own sweat?

I develop Eczema if I wear any kind of jewelery. I can`t even wear a watch. Is there any thing that I can do for it? I would love to be able to wear a watch.

Answer:

You had two questions.  The first has to do with perspiration leading to hives.  It is important to understand that you are not allergic to anything.  What probably is occurring is obstruction of some of your eccrine sweat glands and when these are obstructed and you perspire they form inflamed areas that can be mistaken for simple urticaria.   Your board certified dermatologist can help you with that.

Secondly, it would appear that you are quite allergic to nickel or some preservative in the watch band that you have been wearing.  Most cosmetic jewelry has nickel in it, whether it be gold or silver, which gives it strength.  Try wearing a pendant watch or a pocket watch.  There are canvas watch bands that go under the watch and keep it off of your skin, and those might be an alternative.  I would not use leather unless it specifically says it is vegetable tanned because most does have some nickel in the tanning solution.  You might bring this up to your board certified dermatologist when you talk him about your problem with sweating.