Skin bubbles

10/24/2006

Question:

I have a single place on my stomach and there is a bubble full of blood on the outside of my skin, almost looks like a red wart. it is about the size of a pencil eraser. What is it and what do i have to do to remove it?

Answer:

The lesion you describe is called a cherry angioma.  It is benign, and it is common for people in their mid-20's and beyond to develop these.  They slowly grow, and in some cases bleed, and can be easily destroyed with an electric needle or laser.  Your board certified dermatologist can do that easily.  To my knowledge there is not a direct implication in any other major disease process, so that they are considered a nuisance rather than a marker of internal disease.

If, however, the lesion is growing rapidly, has an unusual shape, or there are other large numerous lesions appearing over any area of your body, there may be other diagnoses to be considered.  To be certain of the correct diagnosis you should see your board certified dermatologist for a careful examination.