Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Skin Care and Diseases

Mollescum treatment



I currently am uninsured and can not afford to seek treatment for my mollescum. Can mollescum be treated with an over the counter salicylic acid? If so, is it dangerous to treat mollescum that is in the genital region with the acid? Or is there a better out of office solution?


I would avoid the use of severe irritants for the treatment of mollescum contagiosm.  In a physician's office we occasionally use materials that irritant the mollescum to make them more inflammatory which leads to rejection and clearing of the lesions. 

The normal treatment sequences for mollescum include: removal with a currette, the use of trichloroacetic acid in various concentrations, the use of immune modulators such as Imiquimod cream, and simple traumatic extraction. 

If you do try some traumatic solution to treat these, be sure to wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water and use a topical antiseptic.  The treated site should also be covered with a broad spectrum antibiotic such as a Polysporin. 

I urge you to see your primary care physician or a dermatologist to help you with the care of thie entity.  Your sexual partner should also be examined to stop the sharing of this disease.


For more information:

Go to the Skin Care and Diseases health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Charles L Heaton, MD
College of Medicine
University of Cincinnati