Braces

Orthodontics

10/11/2006

Question:

I am 52 years old and hate my smile. I have spaces between my top teeth and I have some overjet. I also have a couple of teeth missing and several crowns and fillings. My front teeth look to healthy to lose other than the spacing etc. Could I still be able to have braces? I don`t want to lose anymore teeth and I would love to be able to smile without being self-conscious. Thanks.

Answer:

Absolutely, you are not too old to have orthodontic (braces)  treatment.  Many adults are successfully undergoing orthodontic treatment today for a variety of dental health reasons.  Make sure your doctor is a trained orthodontist.  The American Association of Orthodontists can verify that with a call to 1-800-424-2841.

You mention that you have some spaces and have lost some teeth.  Make sure your general dentist and the orthodontist are working together.  Do not shift around practitioners once a treatment plan is established. 

I hope this answers your questions, if not feel free to contact us further.

Go to the Braces health topic, where you can:

Walter C Buchsieb, DDS, MS Walter C Buchsieb, DDS, MS
Professor Emeritus - Clinical, Associate of Dentistry