Sarcoidosis

Cardiac sarcoid

10/16/2006

Question:

Getting ready to have an AICD for cardiac sarcoid. Was dx 1994 and did ok until 2004. Surgery was cancelled for the AICD b/c my factor 8 and Von Willebrand levels were abnormal. Will see a hematologist this week and then reschedule the surgery. Can these blood problems be related to the sarcoid? There seems to be so many ways sarcoid can affect the body. Mine is systemic with skin,ocular,joint pain,cardiac,liver,and nodules in both lungs with some infiltration. Been on prednisone 2+ yrs and getting ready to begin Cellcept. Thank you.

Answer:

Your question about the association between sarcoidosis and hematologic disorders, such as von Willebrand disease, is a good one.  I am not aware of an association between sarcoidosis and defects of factor 8/von Willebrand factor.  Sarcoidosis is relatively common, and there are various associations between sarcoidosis and other diseases that may occur just by chance. 

Sarcoidosis can affect the liver, spleen or the bone marrow, which can influence blood cell counts, but I am not aware of a relationship between sarcoidosis and specific clotting factor deficiencies.  Your hematologist may have additional insights into your condition. 

I wish you the best of luck.

Elliott Crouser MD
The Ohio State University Medical Center.

Go to the Sarcoidosis health topic, where you can:

Elliott D Crouser, MD Elliott D Crouser, MD
Associate Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine