Breast Feeding

Milk is not coming in my breast

12/27/2006

Question:

I am 28 years old, and perfectly fit and fine. I have a baby girl of 28 days from operation. The problem is that she needs my milk but I don`t get milk in my right breast. I have tried a lot. I used pump since the day she born. I drink 2 glass of milk daily. I also used heating method and I only get 2 ounces from my left breast with the help of pump only one time in a day. Please tell me what to do.

Answer:

Some women have one breast that is either smaller than the other or less productive than the other.

In your case this must be your right breast.

You should apply warm, moist heat to both breasts every time before you feed or pump, every 3 to 4 hours.

In addition, you should drink at least 64 ounces of fluids, Not just milk and not just water.

Beverages should include fluids with electrolytes, such as juices, Gatorade, Propel, or the like.

Be sure to lie down each afternoon for about 1 hour.

Take Fenugreek, 1220 mg (two 610 mg capsules) 4 times per day for at least 2 weeks. It may take much longer than that to establish a good supply.

Pump both breasts simultaneously for 15 to 20 minutes after each breastfeeding session; pump the right breast 5 minutes longer than the left.

Always breast feed before offering the bottle.

Best of luck and have very happy holidays!

Go to the Breast Feeding health topic, where you can:

Jeanne L Ballard, MD, FAAP, FABM Jeanne L Ballard, MD, FAAP, FABM
Professor Emeritus, Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology