Osteoporosis

To stop Actonel

11/13/2006

Question:

I`m 50 years old and 6 months ago was diagnose with Osteopenia, my doctor prescribed Actonel and I`ve been taking it for 6 months now. I had a total hysterectomy (uterus and ovarian removed) two years ago. Currently I`m on Natural Hormones treatment "Triestrogen" (personal choice). I`m concern about osteonecrosis; although I don`t have any serious oral problems. Can I stop taking Actonel if my next density bone test comes normal? How long do the effects of Actonel stay in your body?

Answer:

If you have not had any fractures and you have mild osteopenia (a t-score better than -2.0), you may not need to be taking Actonel.  The estrogen you are taking will give you some protection.  Continue calcium, vitamin D and exercise.

We do not know how long the benefits of Actonel will last once the medication is stopped.  It is likely that within a couple of years bone loss will resume.

Go to the Osteoporosis health topic, where you can:

Margery   Gass, MD Margery Gass, MD
Formely, Professor, Clinical Obstetrics & Gynecology