Sarcoidosis

Sarcoidosis

10/25/2006

Question:

I kind of understand sarcoidosis, but as I am understanding from my doctor. this is a disease that also effect the lungs. i was informed that my lungs are gritty. My doctor said that this disease that I have can be treated, but can can not be cured.

Also I was informed that blacks get this disease and some whites, I understand that this is moe fata on women......

Answer:

It sounds like you were recently diagnosed with sarcoidosis and are trying to learn more about the disease. I would suggest that you go to the following online resource, which is designed to provide people with sarcoidosis with more information. http://www.stopsarcoidosis.org/sarcoidosis/diseasefacts.htm

It is true that African American women get sarcoidosis most often. However, many different ethnic groups, and men, can get this disease. It can affect just about any organ in the body, and commonly involves the skin, eyes, lymph nodes, and lungs. It does not spread like infection. Some people get better with no treatment, while other sarcoidosis patients require treatment.

I recommend that you find a doctor who is experienced in the care of sarcoidosis patients to decide if you need treatment.

Go to the Sarcoidosis health topic, where you can:

Elliott D Crouser, MD Elliott D Crouser, MD
Associate Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine