Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants

Implants and Bridges as an Alternative to Dentures

10/30/2006

Question:

My dad has had a lot of trouble with his dentures. He has had about ten sets in the last 5 years and every pair hurts as much as the very first one. He can only stand to have them in about 15 minutes and then he is just in horrible pain. My question is can they do some implants on the upper and the lower arches and then put bridges to close the areas? I also would like to know if this could be an alternative to his dentures?

Answer:

From the information you are providing in your question, it seems that you have a very good understanding of your father's situation.

Q: Can they do some implants on the upper and the lower arches and then put bridges to close the areas?

A: Yes. There are different alternatives that could be considered for a situation like that. Importantly, there might be the necessity to perform a CT-Scan of the upper and lower jaw to determine the quantity of available bone. This information helps dictate the placement of the implants in specific areas.

Q: I also would like to know if this could be an alternative to his
dentures?

A: Yes. Depending on the amount of available bone it is a possibility.

Your father should be seen by a prosthodontist. A diagnosis and
treatment plan should be formulated. If additional x-rays, CT-Scan,models, etc. are needed, they will be prescribed. 
This information is then communicated to the periodontist/oral surgeon for the surgical placement of the implants in the specific determined positions.

I hope the information presented is of any use to your father's
current situation.

Let us know if we could be of any further help.

Go to the Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants health topic, where you can:

Jose I Arauz-Dutari, DMD Jose I Arauz-Dutari, DMD
Formerly, Assistant Professor of Periodontics
School of Dental Medicine