Dental and Oral Health (Children)

Removal of lower 2nd molars

11/01/2006

Question:

My 12 year old son is missing the adult teeth for the lower 2nd molars. Our orthodontist said the x-ray shows the roots of the existing molars are already half gone. He said that the teeth should be pulled, as they will eventually loosen and fall out.

Is this usually the recommended treatment? This issue is part of deciding how to deal with the 2 upper bicuspids which are twisted sideways. The original thought was simply to straighten the top teeth, but if indeed the bottom teeth need to come out, then the removal of the bicuspids to help with alignment is being suggested. Four extractions seem like alot.

Answer:

It is not possible to comment on your son's case without a thorough review of his records.  My recommendation is to get a second and even a third opinion if you have questions about your current dentist's plan of treatment.

Go to the Dental and Oral Health (Children) health topic, where you can:

Dennis J McTigue, DDS Dennis J McTigue, DDS
Professor of Pediatric Dentistry