Fingernail disorder - pitting

12/04/2006

Question:

I`m recently experiencing a nail disorder on my right hand (middle finger). A few months ago, I developed what appeared to have been an infection near the edge of my nail (around the cutical). Shortly thereafter, the infection went away, but so did my cutical. Now, the fingernail appears to be disordered. There are signs of pitting, and it is somewhat sensitive at times. I have never experienced any fingernail problems, and all of my other nails are totally healthy. Can you advise as to what this might be, and treatment necessary?

Answer:

The nail pitting could be an after effect of the infection you had. If the infection involved the nail matrix which is underneath the cuticle, the nail plate could have some abnormalities such as pitting. It will not be reversed but it would grow out and the new nail may look normal again if the infection is already gone. If it persists, it should be checked by your physician.

Elma D Baron, MD Elma D Baron, MD
Associate Professor of Dermatology
Director, Skin Study Center