Urinary and Genital Disorders (Children)

Enlarged kidney

11/06/2006

Question:

I was in 26 weeks and 6 days that I had an ultrasound and everything was fine except , my doctor said to me my baby`s right kidney is enlarged ( left is 3.5 and right is 5.3 I think) and she said I should wait till next mounth and another ultrasound. I am really anxiouse about it, please explain for me about what is it and its prognosis? Would you please reply me as soon as possible? thanks a lot, an anxious mother

Answer:

This is a common situation and there have been many such questions answered in this forum.

It is very common to see dilation in the kidneys before birth. This often resolves after birth. Even when it does not and something needs to be done, this rarely is an urgent issue. As long as the amniotic fluid is normal, there is nothing that should be done, and the pregnancy can be allowed to continue normally. Rarely, there can be such massive dilation that normal vaginal delivery is not possible. Otherwise, there is little reason to deliver a child early.  

Go to the Urinary and Genital Disorders (Children) health topic, where you can:

Rama   Jayanthi, MD Rama Jayanthi, MD
Clinical Assistant Professor of Urology