Sarcoidosis

Gallstones or sarcoid nodules?

11/01/2006

Question:

I have systemic sarcoidosis and during an abdominal CT probable gallstones (no symptoms) were seen. Is there such a thing as sarcoid nodules in the gallbladder? If there are gallstones do they eventually cause problems and need removal? I have many other health issues so was just wondering since don`t need surgery unless an emergency. I also have a sarcoid lesion on my liver (no symptoms and LFT`s are fine). Thank you.

Answer:

Dear Sir/Madam-

To my knowledge there have been only a handful of reported cases of sarcoidosis involving the gallbladder.  In one case, an enlarged lymph node (outside of the gallbladder) was blocking the drainage duct of the gallbladder.  In your case, it is possible that the gallbladder is involved, but would not explain the gallstones seen on the CT scan.  Gallstones are a lot more common than is sarcoidosis of the gallbladder, and the focus should be on the management of the gallstones.  The sarcoidosis should only be treated if there are signs of impaired function or worsening damage of vital organs (e.g., the lungs, heart, liver, eyes, brain, etc.).  From what you tell me about your condition, treatment for possible sarcoidosis of the gallbladder would not be prudent.

Sincerely,

Elliott Crouser MD

Go to the Sarcoidosis health topic, where you can:

Elliott D Crouser, MD Elliott D Crouser, MD
Associate Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine