Exercise and Fitness

Sit-ups

12/04/2006

Question:

Hi, I do 200 sit up`s every morning for my excercise, is that bad only doing sit up`s?

Answer:

A comprehensive fitness program includes cardiovascular activity, strength training, and flexibility training (stretching). Currently, you are engaging in only one of the components of a comprehensive program, that is, strength training of the abdominals.

Cardiovascular fitness includes any activity that uses the large muscle groups and is continuous in nature. Examples of cardiovascular activity are: walking, running, dancing, cycling, swimming and rowing. The American College of Sports Medicine (2006) recommends 20-60 minutes of cardiovascular activity 3-5 days per week. It is recommended that strength training of all of the major muscle groups (legs, chest, back, shoulders, arms, low back and abdominals) be conducted 2-3 days per week. Flexibility training is recommended at a minimum of 2-3 days per week

If you need instruction in strength training, cardiovascular activities, or stretching exercises, consult your local YMCA, fitness center, or a personal trainer.

Before you start any exercise program, consult with your physician.

Go to the Exercise and Fitness health topic, where you can:

Patricia A Woellert, MSW, MEd Patricia A Woellert, MSW, MEd
Program Manager
Fitness Center at CARE\Crawley