Athletic Training

Training to get in shape

11/06/2006

Question:

Hi. Im a 17 year old male. about 6`2 168 pounds. My goal for the future is to eventually become a police officer. I know it requires one to be in excellent shape. Ive been running on a muchine at the gym about 4-5 days a week for 2 miles a day. Eventually i plan on lifting weights as well.

My question is.. Is this enough training? And how long will it take for me to be able to run 4-5 miles at a time without over duing myself? I get really tired after running also. Is this normal? Thanks MW

Answer:

It is normal to be tired while beginning a work-out program. The best way to improve your conditioning is through slow increase of activity.

You should begin to add strength training twice a week. Mix-up your cardiac work-out in order to prevent overuse injuries. Gradually increase your cardio activity every two weeks by adding 5-10 minutes to your work-out routine. Make sure you have a physical with your physician before beginning any exercise program.

Go to the Athletic Training health topic, where you can:

Angela Justina Beisner, MA, AC Angela Justina Beisner, MA, AC
Athletic Trainer
Department of Athletics Instructor