Erectile Dysfunction (ED)

Impotence

11/08/2006

Question:

My partner entered a clinical trial for prostate cancer in October 2004 without any symptoms at all. To our amazement he was diagnosed with a very aggressive cancer of the prostate. In December 2004 he underwent a radical prostectomy - abdominal incision. He also underwent a course of radiotherapy for seven weeks as a back up. We were told that the nerves bundles were saved. He recovered very well and urinary/bowel function all good and he is fit and healthy. Since the surgery his penis has shrunk to half the size and he is totally impotent. He has tried all the different so called remedies such as Viagra, Cialis etc Vacuum Pump (to small to fit pump), Injections (found them very painful for days afterwards with no effects. All these resulting in nothing. Now nearly two years down the line and has had quite an effect on our relationship. Not sure there is an answer but can you offer any advice.

Answer:

A simple answer would be to go directly to a penile prosthesis. This would restore the erection and work well.

At 2 years post surgery or radiation, the erection should have returned. So, after 2 years, if the erection has not yet working, and all else has failed, I would move to a penile prosthesis.

Go to the Erectile Dysfunction (ED) health topic, where you can:

Allen D Seftel, MD Allen D Seftel, MD
Formerly, Professor of Urology