Menopause

Watery brown discharge

11/13/2006

Question:

I am 47, have always had regular, uncomplicated periods. After several years of shortened intervals between periods (21-24 days), I`m now having irregular periods and watery, brown discharge. This at times contains little particles of what look like tissue. My last two "periods" were less than 2 weeks apart, very odd for me. I have within the past year had 2 vaginal pelvic ultrasounds and an in-office biopsy for a thickened endometrial lining seen on the ultrasound. The biopsy (which was done at the beginning of my period) did not show anything unusual and the follow-up ultrasound was said to be normal for a perimenopausal uterus (different doctor from the one who did the first ultrasound). Should I pursue further testing or just not worry about this since the biopsy was negative? Is watery brown discharge with particles ever considered normal? Thanks for your advice.

Answer:

Since your testing was recently normal, you could observe what happens over the next couple of months.  If the situation has not resolved (menopause or more regular menses), check back with your doctor.

Go to the Menopause health topic, where you can:

Margery   Gass, MD Margery Gass, MD
Formely, Professor, Clinical Obstetrics & Gynecology