Sarcoidosis

Chronic sarcoidosis and allergies

11/08/2006

Question:

I have chronic pulmonary sarcoidosis. I suffer with chronic pain and now it seems like my sinuses are being affected by it. I also have become allergic to certain foods and antibiotics. Does the sarcoid cause these type of conditions to occur.Also, is there any type of medicine out there that can help with the tiredness that I go through with this sarcoid.

Answer:

Dear Sir/Madam-

The relationship between allergies and sarcoidosis is not entirely clear.  Allergies are so common that it is difficult to determine if they are independently associated with sarcoidosis.  At least one research study suggests no causal association between the two. 

As for fatigue symptoms associated with sarcoidosis, it is often the case that fatigue symptoms parallel the activity of sarcoidosis.  For instance, if you have enlarged lymph nodes, it suggests that your sarcoidosis is active.  When active, sarcoidosis can cause you to experience fatigue.  In my experience, reducing the activity of the disease (using the lowest effective dose of medicine) often improves the fatigue symptoms.

I would recommend that you contact a regional physician experienced in the management of sarcoidosis to assist in the management of your disease.

Sincerely,

Elliott

Go to the Sarcoidosis health topic, where you can:

Elliott D Crouser, MD Elliott D Crouser, MD
Associate Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine