Thinning hair

11/16/2006

Question:

Before my full hystorectomy I had a lot of long, very thick hair in and around my pubic area now since my surgery it`s very thin and nearly gone..What can I do to get my hair back?????

Answer:

It would seem from your description that you had not only a hysterectomy but also an oophorectomy, leaving you with a surgical menopause.  That change in your metabolic status may have contributed to your hair loss.  I would discuss the issue carefully with your gynecologist to see if supplemental endocrine is needed at your age.

Topical Minoxidil (Rogaine) may restart your hair follicles to growing.  I certainly would suggest that you look into that possibility since it may help the follicles return to full productivity.  Please do it soon, rather than later so that you still have hair follicles to work with.

There are several world authorities on hair loss particularly in women, these being Dr. Wilma Bergfeld at the Cleveland Clinic and Dr. Vera Price at University of California, San Francisco.