Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants

Prolonged Numbness after Dental Implants

01/10/2007

Question:

Loss or alteration of nerve sensation, resulting in numbness or a tingling sensation in the lower lip, tongue, cheek, chin, gums or teeth is rare but can occur if implants are placed in the lower jaw and a nearby nerve is irritated. Usually this is temporary, although in very rare cases it can be permanent. I had a dental implant 10/24 lower jaw. Lost molar lost sensations in lip, gums, and teeth. It has been 3 weeks since surgery and they removed the implant 11/7. Numbness continues and actually feels worse. When will the numbness stop or am I stuck like this forever?

Answer:

It will depend on what type of injury was caused to the nerve. Probably 3 to 4 weeks might be too soon for the nerve to start conducing sensations again. If this lack of sensation started right after the implant placement, it could be directly related to the placement of the implant in that area. If the nerve is only irritated (neuritis), there is a high chance the conductivity of the nerve will get back to normal.

The time when this can happen cannot be determined. Every person is different. It could take from months to years. Medications could be given to treat the neuritis. Consult a neurologist. If the nerve is cut, the likelihood of the conductivity of the nerve to happen again is very slim, almost nonexistent.

Go to the Crowns, Bridges, Dentures, Implants health topic, where you can:

Jose I Arauz-Dutari, DMD Jose I Arauz-Dutari, DMD
Formerly, Assistant Professor of Periodontics
School of Dental Medicine